vrarsh
I really have the vaguest idea on how parents are able to love all their children the same amount. On any fine day, if you ask any parents they would insist they love and care for all their children the same but try asking any kids with siblings. Only a tiny miniscule fraction (approximately 0.001%) would say their parents are fair and equal in loving and caring and admit they do not face any sibling rivalry at home! Or in my case, it would be appreciation and also attention.
Born the third out of four girls, I am in the midst of overheated jealousy. Or it would be better to say I was. Come on la. I have two elder sisters who are super-achievers. They are good at everything and I do mean everything! They excel in school, amazing in arts (despite not having any lessons in art), have wonderfully sweet voice when they sing and possibly everything else. And yeah, they are good with people too. Their drawings are framed up around the house and mind you, these aren’t drawings of stick figurines with few strands of hair. These are a la Picasso and Leonardo da Vinci. And for me, I’m nothing like them; I don’t even look like them. I can’t draw, or probably just not as good. There is no use telling me not to compare myself with them, because every other situation compels me to do so!
When anyone visits us, my parents would proudly bring them for a tour around the house and show and marvel everyone with the art-work of my sisters. And almost always I would be asked "So, what are you good at?" and I though thoroughly mortified would have to answer "None, I’m kinda hopeless actually". Why can’t people accept the fact that not everyone has to be same?
For a fact, I am not hopeless. There are certain things where I can flaunt my talents. I am good in expressing my emotions through words and poem. Well if you want to know, I actually have had a poem published in a coffee table book by the International Poem Club when I was 15 ( yeah .. cheers for me!!) and also have few articles published by the local papers. And I also have a talent for speaking in public and also for advising people especially about love-life problems (Clue= I am doing psychology) but my parents do not even acknowledge my talents or achievements. I mean I am not asking much but just a few words of encouragement and probably if they actually frame up my articles by the paintings of my sisters, would definitely boost up my self-esteem by ten-folds.
But come to think of it, though my elder sisters get all the name and fame, it is me and my younger sister who get more freedom. When my elder sisters were adolescents my parents were all but liberal. We lived under a military, iron-nailed regime and trust me when I say this is an understatement. There was no going out with friends even if they are girls, no movies, no listening to English or Tamil cinema songs, no posters on the wall, no sleep-over, no even talking about boys and basically no nothing! And through out the years, my parents have mellowed. They are not that mushy but we (me and my younger sister) do get a tad more freedom compared to my elder sisters. We are allowed to go out with friends, watch movie, have fun and hang out. Yeah we have fun and drive our elder siblings into a green frenzy of rage. My mom actually listens to the latest English songs and while dad has not really changed much, he has slackened off just a tiny bit. My moment of revelation came when my mom said this, "Do you know that Shakira’s mother was a belly dancer from Lebanon?" wow. To think that my mom actually knows the happenings in the music industry and even their history!
Now that we are all grown up, I and my sisters are as close as thieves in a pack. We seldom get a chance to meet since we have already left the nest and currently are busy pursuing our tertiary studies or climbing the corporate ladder. The little time we get to meet back in home during weekends, are moments to be treasured. We update each other and could spend hours just talking and laughing that sometimes would drive my dad up the wall! But nevertheless, thanks to the modern technology we do keep in touch through sms, mms, video conferencing with webcams and voice messages. And like most other families, we grew out of the rivalry. I can say my sisters are one of my best companions. I could just be myself and not be afraid to express myself with them and the amount of nonsense we do together is unspeakable and would make everyone shake their heads in disbelief.


dis was writen for the sole pupose to get cash from da paper.. hehe,,, half of above is not true.. or basically it refers to the past. im a changed person now.. i dun care about dis kinda petty things no more.. im good n i have cum to accept my goodness and my evilness... im proud of my talents no matter how silly or unimportant they r.. for all talents as my old fren told me, comes from god n its there for a reason.. n we must utilise it to our outmost cababilty... cheers to myself
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    DArling roomie!!! yeah u sure are very talented babe! ahahaa~~~~~ u can read ppl's mind n gifted wit prophesies!! ehhe.. Happy BIrthDay deary~ GoD bless n be a light the shines!!!


Post a Comment

your two cents worth??

}